The anemic sodium-light just above the rusted
metal screen door flickered. Its weak light cast an eerie pall over the long
dark narrow walkway to his door. A warm breeze blew past me as I stood there,
summoning the courage to knock. My attention was drawn to a grey moth that
pinged the large bulb in the fixture, over and over. I stared at the moth until
my eyes burned. I drew a deep breath and knocked on the metal. The loud, sharp
sound sent a jolt of electricity to my spine and I let out a violent shudder. I
should never have come. I was growing uneasier, and that amplified my anxiety,
making me jumpy. Just as I turned to walk away, the door opened slowly.
“Yes?”
“Hi
Edward, it’s Sig.”
He looked at me through the bars in the
screen door but couldn’t make me out in the weak light.
“Sig?”
“From
class. You said I could swing by to pick up the syllabus.”
“Ah,
yes, Siegfried! From class. Come in; come in.”
He swung the door open and guided me inside
with his hand on the small of my back. I immediately felt a hot pulse and
walked in quickly to break his touch. The sounds of a sitar broke bottles in my
ears as I stepped into his living room. His place was small and dark. The dingy
walls were covered by ornate eastern tapestries; barely lit by orange and green
lights that hung in every corner. A sheer dark blue veil was suspended just
below the ceiling, spanning the room, making it feel even smaller. On the
mantel of his faux fireplace stood a tall brass statue of Shiva holding a long
sword in one of his many hands and two burning sticks of Nag Champa in another.
The wispy clouds of smoke wrapped their thin hands around my constricting throat.
I hated the smell.
It
was really unsettling, seeing him sitting two seats over from me in class at the
learning center. I never thought I’d see him again. I thought he’d vanished
decades before. I wasn’t even sure it
was him initially, but the ropey scar behind his left ear and those crystal
blue eyes dispelled any doubt. They burned themselves into my memory like a
firebrand. Though he seemed to have developed a pronounced lisp that I didn’t
remember. Now, due to some miserable déjà vu, I stood in his
living room.
“Would
you like some tea, Siegfried? I just put the kettle on before you came.”
“No thanks.”
“It’s
quite lovely. Do have some. It’s herbal.”
“No
thank you.”
“Well,
I’ll fix myself one just the same, if you don’t mind.”
I nodded. He went into the slightly brighter
kitchen and I heard the clang of a pot being moved around and the opening and
closing of cupboard doors. Not wanting to sit down on any of his furniture I
stood there in the middle of his living room. I began compulsively scratching
my arms. He walked back in to the living room carrying two steaming cups and
sipping from one.
“Ah,
that’s better. I brought one for you in case you change your mind.”
He placed the cup on a coffee table for me,
where it sat untouched.
“I
noticed that you were looking at my old photographs on the bookshelf.”
In fact, I hadn’t. I hadn’t moved from the
spot where I stood. He walked over and pulled down a framed picture and handed
it to me.
“That’s
me… or was me in another life.”
It was a sepia-toned shot of a young man
(about my age) with his chest and chin jutted out and wearing the cockiest of
grins as he leaned on a cane. He wore a tall top hat and dark suit with a large
medal pinned to the lapel and was flanked by two dark Indian men in white
sherwanis (as he called them), with rifles strapped across their chests.
“That
was when I served in Bengal at Her Majesty’s request; during the Raj. I was the
youngest regent in all of India at the time! Just after the second world war
and just before the blighters kicked us out. It was the best of times, my boy;
the best of times. Not soon forgotten… As you can see, it left quite a
permanent impression on me.”
“Hmm.”
He chuckled.
“Those
two buggers had their throats slit shortly after that picture was taken. And I
got this souvenir.”
He pointed to his scar.
“It
wasn’t all sit-ins and salt marches. Don’t let those bloody history books tell
you different… Would you like some tea, my boy?”
“You’ve
already offered.”
I pointed to the steaming cup on the table.
“Ah.
Drink up, drink up.”
“No
thank you. You said you had the syllabus?”
“Syllabus?”
“The syllabus
for class.”
“The
syllabus for cla… Ah yes! My apologies. I’ve become quite forgetful in my old age.
I’ve even forgotten that you were stopping by. I’ll get it now.”
He put his cup next to the other one on the
table and walked back into the kitchen. Over the wailing of the sitar, I heard
the sound of a file cabinet drawer opening and the rifling of papers.
“It’s
here somewhere, my boy. It’s here somewhere.”
Age
had dulled his memory. He seemed to recall memories anchored two generations in
the past with clarity, yet he appeared not to recognize me. Granted, my face
has become more angular, I’ve grown another two and a half feet and my hair has
grayed a bit, but my eyes remained the same. They always stay the same.
“You
know Edward, I used to live quite close to you as a small boy. In fact, you
often came to my home and visited with my mother.”
The rifling of the papers stopped and he
peered into the living room.
“I
did? Gracious. When was this?”
“About
twenty-five years ago. You were always accompanied by an old Persian woman.”
“What
was her name?”
“Anais.”
“The
Persian woman?”
“No,
my mother.”
“This
was here?”
“No.
In Pasadena.”
Edward frowned and scratched his head.
“I’m
sorry, but I don’t remember. You say it was twenty-five years ago?”
“Yes.
You spoke mostly Arabic with her, as none of us spoke any English at the time.”
“Ah.
That must have been lovely, but I’m afraid that most of the noodle has turned
to mush. I’m sorry that I don’t remember. You must have been a delightful boy.”
My fingers throbbed inside my clenched fists.
He returned to the file cabinet and continued his search.
“That
is wonderful to know that we are old friends, Siegfried.”
The
room felt like it was contracting and the smell of the Nag Champa was becoming
unbearable. I felt sick; like I was about to vomit. I flew
at the door and threw it open, startled by a young boy standing on the other
side. I jumped. The unexpected fright threw him off balance and he fell back.
“Here it is, Siegfried. I’ve found it.”
Edward walked back into the room waving the syllabus
in front of him. He noticed the open door and the boy outside.
“Funny,
I didn’t hear the doorbell ring… Ah, Tomás. Bien-ve-nido a casa.”
Tomás got up slowly and walked into the
living room, eyeing me fearfully. He was a timid, slight boy in a grey tank top
and dusty blue shorts. He grabbed his elbows and hunched his shoulders close
together. When I caught his gaze, he nervously looked down at his sandals.
“This
is my young friend, Tomás. His family lives on the other side of the building
and his mother cleans my flat once a week. They moved here from Hermosillo, two
months ago. Neither of his parents speaks English. I convinced them to let me
teach him English before he enters school next year. Of course, they agreed.”
Edward grabbed Tomás’ chin and pulled his
head off his chest. He leaned forward to look into his eyes, and tousled his
hair. He closed the door with his right hand while he pointed to the sofa with
his left.
“Aqui.”
Tomás sat down dutifully. He wrapped his arms
around his bare legs and rested his chin on his knees. He reminded me of a
rolled up pill bug, hugging his legs. Edward handed me the notes.
“Here
you are my boy. I hope this helps.”
“Why
don’t you walk me to my car, Edward? I have a couple of questions about class.”
“I
really must start the lesson. I only have an hour with the boy, and every
minute counts.”
“It
won’t take long.”
“Really,
I must get started.”
“You’ll
be back before he can escape.”
Edward
squinted his eyes. Though he still smiled, his tone became curt.
“I’ll
see you in class, Siegfried.”
He put his hand on my shoulder and walked me
to the door.
“Thank
you for stopping by. Good luck on the…”
I picked his hand up off my shoulder and
began squeezing it. Edward winced and his mouth opened, but no sound came out.
“Out!”
Tomás looked up, but was frozen to the sofa.
His breathing grew rapid as he gripped the sofa cushions.
“Out!
Get out of here, kid! Go!”
I squeezed Edward’s hand until his knuckles cracked.
He winced again and let out a pitiful squeak.
“Go!
God damnit! Go!”
I squeezed harder until I felt a snap in my
hand. Edward howled.
Tomás’ eyes opened wide. His face went ashen
as he shivered on the couch. A stream ran down his leg and pooled around his
sandals. I threw the door open.
“Get
the fuck out!
Tomás bolted out the door and I slammed it
behind him. I released Edward’s broken hand. He backed away from me, gingerly holding
his broken hand across his chest. He opened his mouth to scream…
“Hel…”
…but I punched him across his jaw; launching
his dentures across the room in a spray of spittle and blood.
His shoulders slumped and he began crying,
his lips sucked in over his gums.
“Please.
Please don’t hurt me. Just leave. I won’t make trouble if you just leave.”
I laughed.
“It’ll
be our little secret, hmm?”
I punched him in the face again. His nose
crumpled under my fist, releasing a font of dark blood down his face and onto
his shirt. He fell back against the bookshelf and collapsed on the floor;
knocking his books and pictures down with a crash. As I approached him, he
picked up one of the smashed picture frames and heaved it at my head. It
ricocheted off my temple, opening a gash. The blood ran into my eye and burned.
“No!
No! Please, Siegfried. Please!”
I kicked him hard in his crotch and he
doubled-over in pain. I snapped his head back with a kick to his head. He
rolled onto his side and moaned, woefully.
I pulled him up to a sitting position by his
hair. He slumped over, but I pulled him up again.
He blinked at me through two dark and swollen
eyes, his split lips quivering.
I kneeled down and examined his battered
face. He began sobbing.
“Don’t
cry, Edward. Don’t cry. Big boys don’t cry.”
I spat into his face and stood up. He slumped
over again and continued sobbing.
I caught my reflection in a mirror as I
walked to the door. A trail of blood ran down from my eyebrow to my chin and
onto my shirt. I wiped it off on my sleeve, opened the door and walked out. The
air was cooler outside. I drew in a deep breath and vomited all over the
walkway.
No comments:
Post a Comment